While being involved in any motor vehicle accident is traumatic, being involved in a truck accident can lead to severe property damage, injuries and sometimes wrongful death because the impact of collision is far greater than any other type of transportation. California currently has 350,000 independent trucking owner-operators which means in a heavily populated area with ongoing construction such as Anaheim, the odds of being involved in a car crash with a truck is more likely. When people are involved in a truck accident and suffer serious injuries the recovery process can be daunting. Our Anaheim truck accident attorney is here to help you through this difficult time by ensuring that you get the maximum amount of compensations for your injuries.
Anaheim Truck Accident Statistics
In 2015 throughout the state of California, there were 290 truck accidents that led to a fatality with about 25% of the accidents being at fault of the truck driver. Also in 2015, accidents involving trucks led to 2,622 injuries. Both of these statistics are up from the previous year of 2014.
Proving Negligence In A Truck Accident Case
Commercial trucks, while they have to share the road with passenger cars, have their own set of federal regulations that they must obey in conjunction with state laws. The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) has several regulations including but not limited to:
- Hours of service
- No truck driver may drive beyond the 14th hour after 10 hours off duty
- Every eight hours drivers must take a 30 minute break
- No driver can drive more than 60 hours in a 7 day period or 70 hours in an 8 day period
- Drug and alcohol testing
- Drivers must get tested before hiring as well as spontaneously through employment as well as after accidents
- Cargo loading height and weight restrictions
- Maintaining electronic logs
- Daily vehicle inspections
When a truck driver fails to follow these regulations it can be used as evidence of negligence especially if violating one of these federal laws is what caused the accident and that subsequent accident caused your injuries or the wrongful death of a loved one. Our truck accident attorneys will do a thorough investigation regarding your accident including speaking with eyewitnesses, reading police reports, and checking electronic logs.
Common Causes of Anaheim Truck Accidents
While it is the responsibility of all drivers to follow the rules of the road and provide a safe driving environment, accidents still occur. The main reason for a car accident to happen involving a truck, semi or tractor trailer include:
- Drowsy Driving – There is a reason as to why there is a federal law limited the number of hours a truck driver can work as this is the most common reason for truck accidents.
- Poor Truck Maintenance – When the truck is not maintained properly, equipment failure such as tire blowouts and faulty breaks can cause the driver to lose control of the vehicle.
- Overloading – When a truck is overloaded with too much weight, the pressure on the tires can cause tire blowouts. Cargo that is not secured properly can fall from trucks causing dangerous road conditions.
- Improper Training – Handling a truck is not the same as handling a four-door sedan. If the driver has not been properly trained he is a hazard to anyone who shares the road with them.
- Inclement Weather – As with any motor vehicle, bad weather causes poor driving conditions and make it difficult for trucks to break.
- Distracted Driving – As with any motor vehicle, distracted driving including texting while driving causes drivers to take their eyes off the road which can lead to accidents.
- Speeding or Reckless Driving – As with any motor vehicle, it is up to the driver to follow the speed limit and drive in a safe manner. Reckless driving includes following a vehicle too closely, failure to signal while changing lanes, or failing to check blind spots. Failure to do so may cause an accident.
Contact Anaheim Truck Accident Attorney
If you have been injured or if a loved one suffered from a wrongful death due to the injuries they sustained during a truck accident in the Anaheim area, then contact one of our Anaheim truck accident attorneys. We offer a free consultation to get the details of your case so we can negotiate you the highest settlement possible or go to court to get the compensation you deserve.