Working in construction can be very dangerous. According to the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), in 2016, there were 4,693 worker fatalities. 21% of which (991 out of 4,693) were construction-related deaths. To phrase that another way, one out of five worker deaths were construction workers. In the construction industry, the primary cause of these deaths is known as the “Fatal Four” which includes the following causes of death:
- Falls – 384 deaths in 2016
- Struck By Object – 93 deaths in 2016
- Electrocutions – 82 deaths in 2016
- Caught-in/Between – 72 deaths in 2016
Note: Caught-in/Between refers to any construction worker who was killed when caught in, stuck, or crushed by equipment, structure or material.
However, not every single construction accident leads to death. Many construction workers suffer from serious injuries after a construction accident. Common non-fatal construction accidents include:
- Falls from scaffolding, roofs or other high heights
- Slip and falls due to construction debris or uneven roadway or pavement
- Electrocutions from faulty wiring
- Falling debris from construction debris at high heights
- Caught-in/Between equipment or collapsing structures
- Fires and explosions from unfinished piping or leaking gas lines
- Heat Stroke and overexertion from physical labor in hot or humid conditions
- Machinery accidents from improper use by another construction worker
- Vehicle collisions from other drivers not driving correctly in a construction zone
When a construction worker is injured it means that they are unable to perform their job which means lost wages coupled with the new expense of medical bills. If the injury is serious then they might not be able to work in the construction industry which limits their future earning potential. And in the event that your loved one suffered a wrongful death while at a construction site, you could find yourself in a very tough financial situation.
If you or a loved one has been a victim on a construction accident, contact one of our construction accident attorneys to help you get the compensation that you deserve.